How Hypnotherapy is Helping People Quit Vaping
Why is vaping so popular?
There are a couple of reasons e-cigarettes may be particularly enticing to people. First, many teens and adults believe vaping is less harmful than smoking normal cigarettes. Second, vapes have a lower per-use cost than traditional cigarettes so they are cheaper way of smoking and finally, youths and adults find the nicer smell of the smoke more appealing and ascetically pleasing to watch (the smoke puffs). Testing has shown that vapes that are labelled 'nicotine-free' can actually have high nicotine levels. People can think they are using nicotine-free vapes but actually unknowingly quickly develop a nicotine addiction.
As we know vaping has become a popular alternative to smoking cigarettes in the last couple of years especially in young people.
Some facts about vaping:
- Vapes can contain the same harmful chemicals found in cleaning products, nail polish remover, weed killer, insect spray and more
- Vapes can leave young people (teenagers) at increased risk of depression and anxiety
- The nicotine in 1 vape can equals to about 50 cigarettes. Depending on the size of the vape itself and the nicotine strength, it can be much higher
- It's been suggested that younger people who vape are up to three times as likely to take up smoking traditional cigarettes
- A vape aerosol is not water vapour
- Vaping has been linked to lung disease and heart problems
- Vaping can cause long-lasting damaging effects on the brain and physical development
- We still do not know the full side effects of vaping
- It is a safer option than smoking cigarettes but it is still not safe
- E-cigarettes heat nicotine (extracted from tobacco), flavourings and other chemicals to create an aerosol that you inhale
- Recent research suggests it is bad for your heart and lungs and can even result in death or other long term health conditions
- E-cigarettes s are just as addictive as normal cigarettes
- They are not FDA approved
- Bad for in environment with an increase in plastic and lithium waste
How does vaping work exactly?
Vaping devices (pens or pods) can vary in shape, size and colour. The devices produce an aerosol byproduct from heating up a liquid that consists of different flavourings, tobacco and other chemicals that make vaping easier to inhale, smells less harsh and taste better than smoking. This liquid contains either nicotine, CBD or THC to the user via a mouthpiece that is inhaled into the lungs and then expelled via the mouth or nose.
As they are just as addictive as normal cigarettes, quitting can be difficult and therefore people seek the help of hypnotherapy to break the habit.
Why is nicotine unsafe?
- CDC made a study and found that 99% of the vapes sold in certain venues in the US contained nicotine
- Nicotine can harm the developing adolescent brain because the brain is still developing until about age of 25 years old
- Teenagers who use nicotine can damage the parts of their brain that control attention, learning, mood, and impulse control
- When new memories or skills are learned, stronger synapses are built between brain cells. The brain of a young person builds synapses more quickly than the brain of an adult and therefore the way these synapses are formed is then altered by nicotine
- Using nicotine in adolescence may also increase risk for future addiction to other drugs such as alcohol, marijuana or cocaine
So how does hypnosis help you quit vaping? Let's dive in.
Hypnosis works by planting strong suggestions in the mind that help a person to alter their behaviour in a safe and natural way so it enables them to stop vaping just the same way as to stop smoking.
The hypnotic suggestions may be that it alters the taste of the vape or the perception of the vaping process itself. By triggering the brain to make replace anticipation with hesitation, it then allows the mind to do alternative routes and break the habit for good. Many people forget that nicotine is not the only source of addiction as one may have an addictive personality or just simply always need a crutch and this is unfortunately why habits can be harder to overcome sometimes.
Vaping can be a part of your everyday life just like watching TV or eating. In a nutshell, what Hypnosis does is introduces new habits and helps put away the old ones so that a person can change their behaviour.
It is the replacement of old habits with new ones along with suggestions placed in the mind about how vaping is an unpleasant experience, bad for your health and something not to be excited about and then that breaks the cycle. Like throwing away an old book on a bookshelf and replacing it with a new one. It's the same concept!
If you want to stop vaping, hypnosis may provide the answer. It is safe, effective, breaks your habit and give you an opportunity to focus on something that benefits your health and wellbeing.